Many readers have come on the journey with me – reading as I write, but if you’re new here, want to read everything, or need suggestions on where to start, this page should help.
[List last updated, March 2019]
- Falling out of love (with my city) – A lyrical account of why this matters to me.
- What nobody told me… – My first reactions to a visit to the Netherlands.
Section 1 – Big lessons from elsewhere
- I want my street to be like this – What ‘liveable’ streets can look like in detail.
- Amsterdam vs Copenhagen (part 1) – Comparing infrastructure for cycling.
- Amsterdam vs Copenhagen (part 2) – Comparing infrastructure at junctions.
- Amsterdam vs Copenhagen (part 3) – What can we learn from Amsterdam/Copenhagen?
Section 2 – Design details
- Design Details (1) – Looking at continuous footway in detail.
- Imagining better designs… – Can we change the rules?
- Copenhagen bus stops – A photo catalogue of designs.
Section 3 – Making a difference
- This isn’t going to be easy – Why it’s worth talking about ‘change’
- Six key ideas on changing the world – Practical ideas on ‘change’
- Changing ‘the system’ – Identifying what ‘the system’ is
- Key ideas: Adaptive versus technical change – Understanding different kinds of ‘change’
- Key ideas: Doing good AND harm – A reminder we can make things worse.
- Key ideas: Staying light on our feet – What worked yesterday might not work tomorrow.
- Key ideas: Change as a chess match – Another way to understand ‘change’.